DADMAC (CAS 7398-69-8), also known as Diallyl dimethyl ammonium chloride, is a quaternary ammonium compound that is commonly used in a variety of industrial and commercial applications, including water treatment, paper production, and personal care products.
Some common uses of DADMAC include:
- Water treatment: DADMAC is often used as a coagulant in water treatment plants to remove impurities and particles from wastewater. It can also be used as a flocculant to help clarify water.
- Paper production: DADMAC is used as a retention aid in paper production to improve paper strength and reduce the amount of paper pulp needed in the process.
- Personal care products: DADMAC is a common ingredient in hair care and skin care products, such as shampoos, conditioners, and lotions. It is used as a conditioning agent to help soften and detangle hair, and as a moisturizing agent to help hydrate and soothe skin.
- Textile industry: DADMAC is used in the textile industry as a softener and antistatic agent for fabrics.
- Oil and gas industry: DADMAC is used as a corrosion inhibitor and scale inhibitor in oil and gas production. It can also be used as a demulsifier to separate oil and water.
It’s important to note that DADMAC is a chemical compound and should be handled with care. It should only be used in accordance with its intended purpose and under appropriate safety measures.